Feeding a giraffe can be a daunting thing… What do you do? What will the giraffe do? But, it is also an exciting experience! What a graceful and beautiful animal...and you have an opportunity to get up close and personal with it. For some, it gets pretty close, personal and intimate (#IKissedAGiraffe).
Whether you’d like to keep it purely professional or get cosy, here are some recommendations on how to feed the giraffe.
- Feed the giraffe one pellet at a time on its tongue, using your thumb and index finger to hold the pellet.
- Do not feed the giraffe with an open hand and do not stretch out your palm with pellets on it.
- Do not tease the giraffe, feed it when you have the pellets in your hands.
- Do not approach the giraffes without the pellets as they tend to headbutt.
- Do not feed the giraffe on any other thing other than the pellets or foliage provided by our Education Officers or Guides.
- Do not make any loud noises or sudden movements while feeding the giraffes.
- Kindly note that the Giraffe Centre is a No Smoking Zone.
- Kindly allow our guides to assist you whenever in doubt.